Kindness When Flying In The Friendly SkiesMarch 9, 2023
Fourth Of July Barbecue Host Gift IdeasJune 29, 2023
Compliments are meant as a feel-good, a motivator, a confidence or self esteem booster. Conveying a compliment to someone or about something shows you noticed, are aware and/or are appreciative.
How to do? Express compliments with intention, genuineness, positivity, sincerity, and authenticity. Be specific to the other person’s words, behavior and/or actions that made an impact or mark on you. For instance express distinct sentiments like:
- Fantastic job on your presentation!
- Well done, I think the whole room understands that concept so much better!
- Your words of advice (about something specific) really inspire me (and give an example).
- I admire your prose.
- You have the gift of making people laugh.
- You always know just the right thing to say.
- That speech was remarkable!
- I’m proud of you.
- Congratulations on closing that deal!
- I applaud how you handled that.
- That salad was spectacular!
How should you respond? Always with graciousness and appreciation. The simplest and best thing to say is “thank you”. If the moment feels right by adding a little more information, clarity or background you can always respond in kind. Start with “thank you” and then you could include genial phrases such as:
- I’m so glad you enjoyed.
- That makes me feel good.
- That made my day hearing that.
- I’m happy to hear you feel that way.
- I appreciate you telling me that.
- I am grateful for your support.
- I appreciate your kind words.
- I appreciate you noticing.
- Your kind words mean a lot to me.
- That brightens my day hearing that.
- Our whole team contributed.
- It was a team effort.
- I learned from the best – my mom.
- It’s a family recipe that’s been passed down for generations on my dad’s side.
A smile in your voice or your writing, while in the compliment moment, brings it all full circle.