The 4/4/4…October 18, 2022
What To Do If You Can’t Afford Anything on the Wedding Registry…October 19, 2022
Mastering the art of working well with others via the remote workspace includes an investment in yourself: Emotional Intelligence (aka EI).
EI as a noun is defined as “the capacity to be aware of, control, and express one’s emotions, and to handle interpersonal relationships judiciously and empathetically.”
Possessing strong traits of EI can include self awareness, social awareness, self regulation, self motivation, self management, relationship management, empathy and adaptability.
Being in tune with these traits is essential in the remote workspace in order to build and maintain strong relationships, and work harmoniously and successfully together. This can be challenging when you’re not in the same physical space as your team and clients, hence aren’t able to keenly read body language and directly interact.
Growing your EI while working remotely includes mindfulness and being completely present with yourself and others (for this piece I’m just referring to online endeavors). Tune in and focus on strengthening your:
- active listening skills
- propensity to listen objectively
- positive tone of voice
- verbal communication skills (incl. speaking clearly and pointedly)
- facial responses (incl. smiling more as appropriate)
- empathy toward team and customers
- ability to take a beat to be better able to respond verbally in a positive manner
- collaboration and flexibility
- asking questions/gathering information
- supporting and motivating team (esp. during duress)
- emotional management (incl. feeling stress or anger, and feeling overwhelmed)
- read on your workmates’ and clients’ non verbal cues
- gratitude and appreciation of others and their efforts to contribute to overall productivity, prosperity and unity
Making the time to further invest in yourself may take some time, as any investment does. Rest assured it will pay off in multiple ways; whether working remotely for the short term or the long term, investing in yourself is well worth it!