Be Mindful Of Your Travel MannersDecember 9, 2015
It’s Cool To Be Smart And Safe OnlineJanuary 25, 2016
‘Tis the season of giving and sharing. What are your favorite gifts to give? How about giving the best gift of all – yourself?!
- Give. There are so many organizations and groups that need your help. Collect coats for One Warm Coat, give gently used household items to the Salvation Army and Red Cross, which do a spectacular job of giving all year round. Give gifts of new clothes, shoes and toys to your local Foster Kids, Giving Tree: Adopt A Family, and Women/Family Shelters; these organizations also need your donations throughout the year.
- Volunteer. Help cook, distribute food and feed the homeless or incapacitated. Offer to read to young children, the elderly or others in need of just hearing someone’s voice and being in someone’s company. Check with local organizations that interest you, and join one that spreads the holiday cheer through volunteering in many other ways.
- Sing. Get a group together to sing carols to retirement communities, hospitals and special needs group homes.
- Help. An elderly neighbor, or ill friend can always use your help shopping for basic needs or cooking meals during the holidays. If their yard needs leaf blowing, or snow shoveling, or their mail needs to be brought to the door, show a random act of kindness and do it for them. Maybe there is a single parent on your block who needs help with errands or child care for an afternoon – offer your help to do so.
- Make. A homemade gift, song, poem or meal brought to someone in need or someone who lives alone is a great way to brighten someone’s day.
These gifts are the best gifts of all, and ones that will always be cherished.
“It isn’t how much we give but how much love we put into giving.” – Anonymous